Solution to the 5 beep code and then reboot problem. (especially if your motherboard only has ram locks on one side; Gigabyte)

By Zack - May 21, 2016

This is mainly for those motherboards that have only one locking side.

1.  Take out RAM  
2.  Align RAM on both sides evenly and just let it slide in without pushing it down yet. 
3.  On the non-locked side push that down in as far as it can go and then push down the side that locks/snaps into place.

I had taken out my RAM to install some new sleeved cables and then the computer starting doing the 5 beep and restart nonsense. Figured it was either the sleeving job or the RAM. Unfortunately I swapped my cables first and didn't realize it was the RAM. I imagine it could be hard to narrow down if it's a new build or something similar. Like literally i had my RAM snapped into place but it wouldn't detect it because I probably pressed down evenly on the entire RAM module.

This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high.

I just hope I can save people the headache of what I went through.

Credit:  /u/cann3dheat   

Here

For anyone else coming to this thread with this issue, this MB has a RAM module with locks on only one side. If you put the RAM in how you usually would and just lock the one side into place it won't register the RAM and will give you this error. You'll need to push the non-locking side of the RAM down first with some force, and THEN place the other side in and lock it into place.
This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high.


I use a gigabyte mini-itx mobo.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments